Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 00:20:00 EET

On 03/03/2012 08:25 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> Sure, you could just implement dumb raw OSC recording and playback, but
> there's little point in using a DAW for that (not to mention little
> practical musical use)

But that's exactly what I want. For starters, even just simple messages
consisting of address and POD (like a double value) would be useful. The
data might originally be generated with a multitouch OSC device, say,
and would be recorded by the DAW, which would also let me play back the
data, sending it either to an OSC-capable plugin or an external OSC
application (Pd, say) which would know what to do with it. Call it
automation, if you want. But I think of it as sequencing of OSC
messages; I need the data to be on its own track where I can edit, cut,
copy and move it around as needed. DAW and sequencer programs are good
at these things; that's what they are for. And no, I don't want to use
MIDI instead, where I have to cram everything into control changes or
(N)RPNS and loose both resolution and the descriptive OSC addresses.

I don't know if it's of practical use for anyone else, but time and
again I would have had good use for this apparently simple feature. If
anyone knows a sequencer or DAW which can do what I sketched out above,
please do tell me. OSC has been around since 1997, for crying out loud.
It's about time that sequencers do more with it than just automatizing
the transport controls. ;-)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany