Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 00:29:14 EET

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 5:20 PM, Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de> wrote:
> On 03/03/2012 08:25 PM, David Robillard wrote:
>>
>> Sure, you could just implement dumb raw OSC recording and playback, but
>> there's little point in using a DAW for that (not to mention little
>> practical musical use)
>

> But that's exactly what I want. For starters, even just simple messages
> consisting of address and POD (like a double value) would be useful. The
> data might originally be generated with a multitouch OSC device, say, and
> would be recorded by the DAW, which would also let me play back the data,
> sending it either to an OSC-capable plugin or an external OSC application

this general language is the whole problem.

you can't send OSC to "an OSC capable plugin" or "an external OSC
application" in any generalized sense, because there is no shared
format for the messages.

the sequence of messages that you record may make sense to Pure Data,
but make absolutely no sense to, say, CSound.

the motivation to develop the infrastructure for recording, playback,
disk storage and editing of such messages is not very strong when any
given sequence can only target one particular OSC receiver. the
motivation isn't zero, to be clear. but it just isn't that strong.

> I don't know if it's of practical use for anyone else, but time and again I
> would have had good use for this apparently simple feature. If anyone knows
> a sequencer or DAW which can do what I sketched out above, please do tell
> me. OSC has been around since 1997, for crying out loud. It's about time
> that sequencers do more with it than just automatizing the transport
> controls. ;-)

then its about time that people using OSC start defining some
standardized messages. MIDI did this from the start, and for all of
its limitations, its been a wild success. the OSC community has
self-consciously avoided doing this - lets queue up another pointless
argument about how to represent notes/frequencies/intervals - and as a
result is still only a niche protocol with every transmitter and
receiver defining their own messages. double fail ...