Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 09:14:53 EET

Am 3. März 2012 23:29 schrieb Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com>:

>> OSC
>
> this general language is the whole problem.
>
> you can't send OSC to "an OSC capable plugin" or "an external OSC
> application" in any generalized sense, because there is no shared
> format for the messages.
>
> the sequence of messages that you record may make sense to Pure Data,
> but make absolutely no sense to, say, CSound.
>
> the motivation to develop the infrastructure for recording, playback,
> disk storage and editing of such messages is not very strong when any
> given sequence can only target one particular OSC receiver. the
> motivation isn't zero, to be clear. but it just isn't that strong.
>
>> I don't know if it's of practical use for anyone else, but time and again I
>> would have had good use for this apparently simple feature. If anyone knows
>> a sequencer or DAW which can do what I sketched out above, please do tell
>> me. OSC has been around since 1997, for crying out loud. It's about time
>> that sequencers do more with it than just automatizing the transport
>> controls. ;-)
>
> then its about time that people using OSC start defining some
> standardized messages. MIDI did this from the start, and for all of
> its limitations, its been a wild success. the OSC community has
> self-consciously avoided doing this - lets queue up another pointless
> argument about how to represent notes/frequencies/intervals - and as a
> result is still only a niche protocol with every transmitter and
> receiver defining their own messages. double fail ...

I totally agree.
Actually OSC missed the point of MIDI.
(Or there was no intention to acctually become a replacement !? )

There should at least be an accepted, standardized
way for transmission of MIDI data over OSC !

I've started a draft:
http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/user/emrum/midi-osc-map

--
E.R.