Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Albert Graef <Dr.Graef@email-addr-hidden-online.de>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 14:56:56 EET

On 03/04/2012 03:31 AM, David Robillard wrote:
> However, I doubt Ardour ever will, nor do I think it even should,
> support sequencing of events that are transmitted by some mechanism
> other than Jack. That would be a gigantic inconsistent mess for more
> reasons than I feel like listing, and trying to use UDP or whatever
> directly in a DAW raises a very large number of very deep questions for
> no benefit (hell, anti-benefit, Jack rules). Integration with IP based
> OSC transport should happen via a separate Jack program.

That makes perfect sense to me.

> As Paul pointed out in his response, the reason for this lack is that
> OSC simply doesn't do what 99.999999999999% of the people who use a
> sequencer want to do.

99.999999999999% of the world population is zero, I guess that's me,
thanks. ;-) That's your take on what users want, I disagree. Add OSC
tracks to Ardour and people will find good uses for it, that's my take.

> Blindly recording events with no editing or
> display ability simply isn't that useful, and certainly doesn't
> constitute a MIDI replacement.

Why should it be recorded blindly? It's not rocket science to come up
with a convenient interface to edit and visually represent something
like generic OSC data. In fact, Ardour automation would almost fit the
bill if there was a way to record and play the data from/to external
devices and applications in a way which doesn't take the MIDI detour.

You can argue that OSC is too limited all day, but in any case it's
better than 7 bit values with 7 bit addresses. I'd be more than happy to
use any other semi-standard format which offers this and has at least
some support in applications. But what we have right now for
transferring control data is MIDI and OSC. If you know about anything
else please do tell me. I can't drive a Pd patch with a data format that
doesn't exist. I can get control data from OSC devices and feed that to
Pd, however. Just bad luck that none of the major DAWs supports it
directly, so I have to fit my square OSC peg into the round MIDI hole to
make that work. ;-)

Albert

--
Dr. Albert Gr"af
Dept. of Music-Informatics, University of Mainz, Germany