Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 19:05:24 EET

Am 4. März 2012 14:38 schrieb Paul Davis <paul@linuxaudiosystems.com>:
> ... the
> problem for users is that it leaves the mappings unspecified, and
> although there are some clever solutions for this (several of them),
> from a user's perspective it always adds an extra layer of complexity.
> contrast with MIDI, where almost all the messages that most people
> will generate have a defined meaning even from the sender's
> perspective (though sure, the receiver can still map it to something
> else if it wants to).

Exactly.

Once upon the time, GM was helpful.
If you made your sequencer play a BassDrum, on one synth,
it would play a BassDrum on a different GM machine too,
without any configuration.

Today MIDI + GM appear too limited.
We need 3 drum-kits, 10 snares, 52 channels, 64 bit
.... spoiled musicians ;)

With current OSC, one would have to configure the headstrong soup of both
sender and receiver.

--
E.R.