Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.5.4 - Echo Victor shouts out!

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 04 2012 - 15:38:55 EET

On 3/4/12, J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I personally don't think that the way notes are encoded is the primary
> limitation imposed by MIDI. A note is a frequency, an attack/decay
> modulation, and a duration.

apparently you're forgetting or have not been a part of the many
debates with the music technology community about how to define "a
note". personally i'm happy with what you wrote, but i know several
people who have made cogent arguments that defining notes in terms of
frequencies completely misses one of the most musical semantics.

> The way OSC is used, and in libmapper in particular, is to say things
> about the input device, not the music, which, as far as the input
> device is concerned, doesn't exist.

as as receiver of OSC, i'd be entirely happy with such a standard. the
problem for users is that it leaves the mappings unspecified, and
although there are some clever solutions for this (several of them),
from a user's perspective it always adds an extra layer of complexity.
contrast with MIDI, where almost all the messages that most people
will generate have a defined meaning even from the sender's
perspective (though sure, the receiver can still map it to something
else if it wants to).