Re: [LAD] LV2 specification packaging

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 23 2012 - 01:44:16 EET

On Thu, 2012-03-22 at 23:47 +0100, Albert Graef wrote:
> On 03/22/2012 10:27 PM, David Robillard wrote:
> > Note this tarball would just be a distribution for users to build, we
> > actively don't want packages depending on lv2 everything with one
> > version number at the source level.
>
> If the tarballs are out there, you can't keep the package maintainers
> from using them anyway. :)

I don't plan on releasing in multiple ways. Whatever The Way(TM) is,
that is the way. If people want one, it's *just* one. Maintaining this
stuff is enough effort when it only needs releasing in one way.

I guess the question isn't so much tarballs, but whether there should be
a build script in each. I guess not, if we're doing the all in one
thing, and encouraging that all the way through to the package manager.

Programs and documentation should be packaged separately though. Since
most build systems that build docs do it all in one go, I assume
packagers are already accustomed to piecing up things that are installed
in one command by the source build system?

-dr