Re: [LAD] LV2-C++-Tools

From: David Robillard <d@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 25 2012 - 17:59:48 EEST

On Sun, 2012-03-25 at 10:08 +0100, Aurélien Leblond wrote:
[...]
> > IMHO, one should never need to deal with input devices in a plugin.
[...]
> That actually makes a lot of sense.
> I'll remove the mouse plugin from the AVW ones so.

FWIW, that is a sensible position for the plugin-side code[1], but
there's nothing wrong with reading the mouse in the UI. It's pretty
unlikely you're *not* going to read the mouse in the UI...

It is questionable to be constantly reading the global mouse position in
a UI, i.e. directly reading the mouse, but it's fine to implement an XY
pad and the like. You don't have to constrain the mouse motion to the
actual pad on the screen, just make it only actually work if the user
starts a drag in the pad, or does something explicit.

If you really want to avoid the need to drag, you could have a 'grab
mouse' toggle button in the UI, perhaps. The main thing is the user
should be explicitly doing something, rather than a UI indescriminately
reading the mouse position at all times.

-dr

[1] Though I am not so sure I agree, a plugin that talks to a controller
and sends control data seems pretty useful to me