Re: [LAD] Non Session Management

From: J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Mar 28 2012 - 23:43:28 EEST

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 11:25 AM, rosea.grammostola
<rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I am able to save Ardour sessions and share it with my friends. They are able to use them (if Ardour and the right plugins are installed). How is this possible with NSM?

Pretty much the same way you do it with Ardour. Just make a tar.bz2 of
the session directory (e.g. "~/NSM Sessions/Songs/The Song I Want To
Share") and send it to your friend, they untar it in their session
root, and NSM will find it. In the general case, this will work fine.
Of course, just like with Ardour, whether the session actually loads
and works properly depends on whether or not your friend as the same
programs and plugins (or compatible versions of them) installed. Now
if you later want to merge the two sessions, you're really on your
own. In that case, making your session folder into a git repository
would probably work better than just using tar. Non-DAW and Non-Mixer
project data is textual and can be meaninfully managed by a line-based
diff algorithm like GITs, but MIDI data (Non-Sequencer)--not so much.