Re: [LAD] HDSP 9652 and Behringer ADA8000

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Mar 29 2012 - 00:03:24 EEST

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 08:44:28AM +0900, Phil T wrote:

> Im would like to experiment using microphone arrays ( 24 channels ) and I
> am just wondering if it is possible for me to use 3 units of Behringer
> ADA8000 connected via ADAT to HDSP 9652. My tools run only with ALSA
> supported devices and I checked through ALSA website, the HDSP 9652 seemed
> to be OK. Im just wondering if the set-up I mentioned is possible ? Will
> there be any issue at all if i use the ADA8000 as far as ALSA is concerned
> ? Thank you very much, I really would appreciate any suggestions or
> comments. Thank you

Microphone arrays usually mean you need well-defined or at
least repeatable and stable gain settings. This is quite
problematic with the ADA8000.

Also if you build them into a portable rack case make
sure you leave plently of open space between them. Some
of my collegues here put four ADA8000 on top of each
other in 6U rack - just 1U space at the top and bottom.
Three of them were fried. You only know when the damage
is done.

Ciao,

--
FA