Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: rncbc <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 03 2012 - 12:51:42 EEST

On 03.04.2012 10:38, rosea.grammostola wrote:
> On 04/03/2012 10:05 AM, rncbc wrote:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> As I understand it, the primary motivation for a session
>>> manager is to be able to save and restore the state of an
>>> audio project[1] that consists of multiple interconnected
>>> programs running on a multiprocessing Linux system.
>>>
>>> In other words, the minimum capability sufficient to be
>>> useful would be some sort of checkpointing mechanism.
>>>
>>> A secondary goal, discussed extensively here, is that it
>>> would be nice to be able to copy a session or export a
>>> session. This is where all the contentious issues with
>>> handling filesystem objects comes up.
>>>
>>> The latter goal should be optional, IMO, rather than required.
>>>
>> </snip>
>>
>> this is exactly what i've been trying to tell (only that my english
>> wording leaves a lot to be desired)
>>
>> thanks Joel :)
>>
>> the primary goal is already achieved by qtractor on jack-session and
>> ladish; the second goal is the one i called "utopian".
>
> As far as I understood, to have everything saved in the session
> folder was designed to make the behavior of the session manager more
> predictable and more simple to avoid errors and misbehavior.
> To be able to export the session was *not* the primary choice for
> this (correct me if I am wrong).

but is this one i complain about. nb. getting the full application
state saved under one SM session directory is a lot different than
saving everything an application state refers to under the same SM
session directory.

i'll gently recall you can actually have sort of both with qtractor
under jack-session management: you just choose which of qtractor's
default session file format you want: either the regular xml state file
(.qtr) or the complete bundle, self-contained archive/zip file (.qtz).
note that if your files are huge, saving in this latter format might
just take more time :)

however, please note, that's just a qtractor's user
preference/convenience option, not mandated by any permanent rule of the
SM API.

byee

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela