Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 03 2012 - 15:55:20 EEST

On 04/03/2012 11:51 AM, rncbc wrote:
> On 03.04.2012 10:38, rosea.grammostola wrote:

>>> <snip>

>>> </snip>
>>>
>>> this is exactly what i've been trying to tell (only that my english
>>> wording leaves a lot to be desired)
>>>
>>> thanks Joel :)
>>>
>>> the primary goal is already achieved by qtractor on jack-session and
>>> ladish; the second goal is the one i called "utopian".
>>
>> As far as I understood, to have everything saved in the session
>> folder was designed to make the behavior of the session manager more
>> predictable and more simple to avoid errors and misbehavior.
>> To be able to export the session was *not* the primary choice for
>> this (correct me if I am wrong).
>>

> but is this one i complain about. nb. getting the full application state
> saved under one SM session directory is a lot different than saving
> everything an application state refers to under the same SM session
> directory.
>
> i'll gently recall you can actually have sort of both with qtractor
> under jack-session management: you just choose which of qtractor's
> default session file format you want: either the regular xml state file
> (.qtr) or the complete bundle, self-contained archive/zip file (.qtz).
> note that if your files are huge, saving in this latter format might
> just take more time :)
>
> however, please note, that's just a qtractor's user
> preference/convenience option, not mandated by any permanent rule of the
> SM API.

But Qtractor seems to be special case here. Jonathan said in this thread
that there are not many apps with the same behavior when it comes to
saving and using files/ sessions.

So saying that this isn't ideal for Qtractor-like-applications, doesn't
say that other developers have problems with the strict saving rules of
NSM.
(I have the *feeling* that these rules are in general harder to accept
for developers of big applications like Qtractor, Ardour, Muse etc, then
it is for small applications. The first have the unconscious urge of
being in charge I can imagine, but I could be wrong).

However, it might be fair to take a look at how JackSession does this
and answer the question why it is or why it is not a problem to not have
these saving restrictions.

Regards,
\r