Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Apr 05 2012 - 17:48:55 EEST

On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 03:19:24PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 04/05/2012 01:16 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 12:14:03PM +0100, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>>
>>> from what I read on the NSM User& API specs. you can only create new,
>>> open and save NSM-managed sessions as in each participating client
>>> project's sub-directories. existing individual projects are out of the
>>> picture. unless you "cheat" the NSM o.O
>>>
>>> iow. what if, assuming Ardour were about a fully-compliant NSM client
>>> and you want to open an existing Ardour session, one you've been working
>>> hard previously but stand-lone ie. outside the NSM umbrella? i read that
>>> you'll have to copy or move all ardour's session files _manually_ first,
>>> or symlink at best, into the NSM's central/root directory and guess what
>>> and where. that's the kind of "cheat" or "juggling" i was telling you
>>> about :)
>>
>> You have a project of application A, created without NSM, and the project
>> is saved in P (a single file, or a directory).
>>
>> You want to use P as part of an NSM session. Note that this scenario means
>> that A has some button to select if it runs under NSM or not. Let's assume
>> that the default is to run stand-alone.
>>
>> There are two ways to do this:
>>
>> 1. ('Load' and 'New' are disabled when running NSM)
>>
>> * Start A.
>> * Load P.
>> * Connect A to NSM. Application A will receive a path indicating
>> where to save its current project. The actual message is 'open',
>> but since there is nothing to open at the given path the only
>> sensible thing to do is to put the current project there.
>> App. A can do so immediately, and then continue as normal.
>> The whole thing amounts to a 'Save as' [*] with the name given
>> by NSM instead of the user. So it's really nothing new.
>>

>> 2. ('Load' and 'New' are not disabled but the application knows
>> how to handle then when running under NSM)
>>
>> * Start A.
>> * Connect A to NSM. App. A will receive a path indicating where to
>> save the its project. Since A is now running under NSM, it remembers
>> this path as the 'current project' even when it loads another one,
>> or creates a complete new one (under these condition A is allowed
>> to have 'Load' and 'New' menu entries).
>> * Load P. App A knows that it should not save to P, but to the path
>> given by NSM. To keep things simple, it could copy P to that path
>> immediately and then continue as normal. Again this is essentially
>> a 'Save as'.
>>

>> The only difference between the two is that in (2) the second and
>> third steps are swapped.
>>
>> No 'manual' user action is required in either case.
> >
> > [*] 'Save as' interpreted as most apps would, not as Ardour does it.
> > In Ardour, 'Save as' does not create a new project but a snapshot,
> > while setting the current name to that snapshot.
> >

> so true, and ain't that something? you actually need the native-open and
> save(as...) commands enabled after all o.O

No, where do you get that ? Did you actually read what you comment on
and think about it for a second or two ? In case (1) both are disabled
while in managed mode. In case (2) 'Load' (or 'Open') is enabled (but
behaves slightly differently) and 'Save as' is disabled (in the menu,
the function is still used, to save to the path given by NSM).

Ciao,

--
FA