Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 18:27:54 EEST

On 04/06/2012 09:06 PM, Joel Roth wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 04, 2012 at 10:12:53PM +0200, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>> Afaik, NSM gives us all we users need when it comes to LAU session
>> management.... Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> It would be great if the core functionality of NSM
> could be separated out from the GUI to support
> console users and environments where X may not
> be available.

So that's already the case. Anyway thanks for trying :) Only developers
are able to convince me on fundamental flaws of the NSM design atm. In
this regard, it might be good if JackSession developers speak out about
the current situation, now we have NSM and JackSession. They probably
see those fundamental flaws or disadvantages in NSM. Or they maybe see
particular advantages of JackSession or even NSM.

Let me summarize my personal findings as a JackSession and NSM user:

Personally I saw it as an advantage of JackSession, that it has JACK
involved and that it only needs the JACK dependency. After the comments
by Fons and by trying NSM myself, I think that it is an advantage of NSM
instead, that it is independent of JACK. It's more easy to add apps
without JACK support to the session and to keep apps with JACK support
outside the session (by purpose). It gives you as a user more freedom
and flexibility overall and so I think it's a better design choice.
These advantages out weights the disadvantage of having one extra
dependency to support NSM (liblo).

In terms of workflow, I prefer NSM above JackSession. Not only the fact
that it is possible to easily launch apps without session support
(without conf files), but also that it does what you expect from a
session manager, OOTB. Close applications, fast, easy and safe saving.
Quick and easy changing from one session to another etc.

The fact that NSM asks supported clients to act coherently and
predictable is another advantage. I think it gives you as a user a
simple and clear workflow. An disadvantage of this might be that a
little more is expected from the devs of the clients, but as far as I
understood that's isn't much extra effort to support it and also there
are no fundamental objections yet, apart from the fact apps which
doesn't have a centralized save location (qtractor), have more problems
with this. I think this is a problem in that app as others pointed out.
Moreover there are not many apps with this behavior.

In summary and to conclude: After using Ladish and especially
JackSession, I think NSM is the best solution for the session puzzle so
far and likely for the coming years. This is a personal user
perspective, devs could think otherwise, but I didn't see a good reason
for this so far.

Thanks. The list is yours again ;)

\r