Re: [LAD] NSM - handling large files

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Apr 09 2012 - 19:03:16 EEST

On Mon, Apr 09, 2012 at 05:27:54PM +0200, rosea.grammostola wrote:

> Personally I saw it as an advantage of JackSession, that it has JACK
> involved and that it only needs the JACK dependency. After the comments
> by Fons and by trying NSM myself, I think that it is an advantage of NSM
> instead, that it is independent of JACK. It's more easy to add apps
> without JACK support to the session and to keep apps with JACK support
> outside the session (by purpose). It gives you as a user more freedom
> and flexibility overall and so I think it's a better design choice.
> These advantages out weights the disadvantage of having one extra
> dependency to support NSM (liblo).

Liblo is *not* a dependency of any app using NSM. Since the NSM protocol
specifies the actual messages, an app can send an receive them whatever
code or library the developer prefers. In fact NSM does not add any
dependencies at all.

To ensure things stay like that, I'd like to see the following
added to the NSM specs:

* All communication is done using simple OSC messages,
* i.e. without using bundles or wildcards.

That way even the most basic OSC support would be enough to
use NSM. And with the protocol as it stands, nothing is lost.

Ciao,

--
FA