Re: [LAD] SMPTE and jackd

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Fri May 11 2012 - 19:04:48 EEST

On Fri, 2012-05-11 at 10:01 -0400, gene heskett wrote:
> So I have to agree with Jens, if the hardware cannot or won't do it,
> find hardware that will and use that one for something else or recycle
> it.

The bandwidth here isn't an issue, I don't care about (technical
specifications regarding to) this, but some equipment was standard for
pro audio studios and it would be nice to be able to use it today (while
it already wasn't easy to use it in the 80s too). There're three ways to
handle MTC and the quarter way is just one way to go. If you've good
luck, you even don't need a pre-roll (loop play can be possible, but
usually it isn't), but in the worst case equipment A can't be used with
equipment B, so MTC isn't reliable in real live, even if there's enough
bandwidth. I anyway did and do use dedicated MIDI IOs, I didn't refer to
the bandwidth, but to the fact that respectable brands failed, because
many vendors handled MTC in different ways.

Equipment from e.g. Dave Smith shouldn't be used as doorstopper. I don't
care e.g. about my Yamaha RX21.

I mentioned that it would be nice to have perfect MTC and Paul explained
that there can't be perfect MTC.

- Ralf