Re: [LAD] First release of jack_export

From: Kjetil Matheussen <k.s.matheussen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon May 14 2012 - 19:30:02 EEST

Fons Adriaensen:
> Subject: Re: [LAD] First release of jack_export
> To: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
> Cc: Linux Audio Users <linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>, Linux
> Audio Developers <linux-audio-dev@email-addr-hidden>
>
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 08:39:18AM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM, Fons Adriaensen
>> <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>> > 2. Run jack_export. See --help for options. The --chan option is
>> mandatory.
>> > ? E.g.
>> >
>> > ? jack_export --chan 16 my16channelfile.wav
>> >
>> > ? Jack_export will connect to the 'export' bus if it exists, and
>> print
>>
>> is there a difference between this and
>>
>> jack_capture --channels=16--port=ardour:export/out\*
>> my16channelfile.wav
>
> AFAIK, jack_capture records in real time. Jack_export records while
> Ardour is in freewheeling mode during exporting, so it's usually
> 'faster than real time'.

jack_capture can already use the transport system to start and stop
recording,
so adding an option to record during freewheeling shouldn't be very
hard.

> Also, jack_export will ceate a proper WAVEX file (standard WAV must
> not be used for > 2 channels) or CAF, or Ambisonic WAVEX, and provide
> different output formats and optional dithering.

jack_capture does that too, except dithering. jack_capture also uses
WAVEX as the default
format for > 2 channels.

Hmm, I might steel your freewheeling and dithering code into
jack_capture. :-)