Re: [LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 10 2012 - 21:03:23 EEST

On Wed, October 10, 2012 11:33 pm, Ben Loftis wrote:

> I'd pose a different question:
>
> Is OSX/Win Audio moving _backward_?
>
> If OSX continues to move towards iOS, and Win continues to move towards
> Metro, and Thunderbolt stalls, and screens get smaller, and expansion
> ports get scarcer, then Linux might become the de-facto "pro" multimedia
> platform simply because the other choices have become too dumbed down.
>
> Of course _most_ users will be happy with the ease and power of the
> tools that will be available on iOS/Metro. And _most_ users is where
> the money is, so Apple/Microsoft are chasing the right users. But there
> will be some serious users that need a powerful production system with
> big screens and big peripherals, and for these users, Linux might
> become the standard.

Looking at the recent trade shows it seems that Linux/Unix is the already
the hardware standard. I didn't spot hardware running on Apple or M$ OS's
but plenty of Linux and Unix platforms.

Unfortunately it costs $4000 for a booth here so I probably won't be able
to do any promotions at the next event.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd