Re: [LAD] [LAU] Linux Audio 2012: Is Linux Audio moving forward?

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Oct 11 2012 - 23:06:51 EEST

Sure, John.
I did not try to organize this. It might be possible, of course, in theory.

And maybe it is one of the solutions - to have a place (possibly like
kickstarter)
where we can organize driver jobs. I don't know how realistic this is
though, but
could be worth a try.

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM, John Rigg <ladev2@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 05:31:19PM +0400, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > Speaking of hardware drivers, long time ago I wrote this article on
> > E-MU 0404 USB:
> >
> http://www.louigiverona.ru/?page=projects&s=writings&t=linux&a=linux_emu0404usb
> >
> > For a long time it was my mostly read article. Some people theorized
> > that it is possible to make the soundcard working, but my tests have
> > concluded
> > that it is surely impossible without voodoo spells.
> >
> > Is there any system solution to these kind of things, when the specs are
> > available,
> > but nobody cares?
>
> If it's a popular device shouldn't it be possible to organise the
> programming
> equivalent of a "group buy" and get interested users to pay someone who
> knows
> the necessary voodoo to get it working?
>
> It might not be a case of "nobody cares", but that nobody can afford to
> drop
> their paid work for long enough to look at the problem.
>
> John

Louigi Verona
http://www.louigiverona.ru/