Re: [LAD] Is Linux audio moving forward - some very personal notes

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Oct 12 2012 - 14:51:07 EEST

On 10/11/2012 01:14 PM, Adrian Knoth wrote:
> On 10/11/2012 01:09 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> The HW situation has been mentioned. Honestly, I wouldn't know
>> where to go if RME went away. Almost everything I've been doing
>> the last years has not only used their HW, but depended on it -
>> no alternatives.
>
> JFTR, I've seen ardour running on an Audinate Dante PCIe card last
> summer at musikmesse. They have made a proprietary Linux driver to drive
> their WFS systems. Unfortunately, I forgot the company's name, all I know
> is it wasn't IOSONO.

the wfs market isn't too big - could have been sonic emotion, a swiss
company?

> Last not least, the RAVENNA camp has stuff ready that might benefit from
> Intel's recent kernel changes. Florian Faber has (unreleased) RAVENNA-jackd
> integration, and you can buy RAVENNA-enabled audio gear from
> directout.eu.

yup. i'm really excited about ravenna, although there seemed to have
been a hiatus for quite some time. but afaict, it's quite elegant and
open-source friendly, certainly friendlier than most of the AVB-related
stuff out there...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487