Re: [LAD] ANN: CMKeyboard

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 09 2012 - 23:20:39 EET

On Mon, December 10, 2012 3:37 am, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey Patrick!
> In what way would you say this is different from JACK Keyboard?

First it uses alsa midi through the alsaseq library.
Second it is written in python3.
Third it uses the Clutter "opengl" UI toolkit.
I'm not sure if jack keyboard supports 128 midi keys.

CMKeyboard is not intended to replace jack keyboard. It's about getting
some traction using Python3 and Clutter.

Clutter and Python are two under utilised options in LAD. Not sure why
Python is not so popular considering how many professional and highly
successful AV projects have been built with it but Clutter seems to have
been off the radar for a while. Maybe now that the new touch interfaces
are arriving in the market this year we will see a pick up in Clutter
projects for LAD applications.

> On Dec 9, 2012 7:28 PM, "Patrick Shirkey" <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
> wrote:
>
>> Announcing CMKeyboard - Clutter MIDI Keyboard
>>
>> http://djcj.org/cmkeyboard
>>
>> CMKeyboard is a 128 note ALSA MIDI virtual piano keyboard spanning from
>> C-1 to G9 written in python3 and taking advantage of the latest Clutter
>> (>1.12.2) features to enable scrolling and opengl goodness. It is a
>> stand
>> alone program which can also be embedded into other python3 applications
>> as a class library. It uses code from the very handy pyclutter-widgets
>> project for the rounded rectangles of the key buttons.
>>
>> The code demonstrates use of Clutter.ScrollActor(), GtkClutter.Embed(),
>> layering of multiple clutter actors, handling of events including:
>> "button-press-event" & "key-press-event".
>>
>> Suggestions for features and improvements welcome.
>>

>> Enjoy!
>>

>> --
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd