Re: [LAD] Alsa: poll mixer events, always returns true in subsequent calls

From: Fred Gleason <fredg@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 30 2013 - 17:15:19 EET

On Jan 28, 2013, at 18:57 05, Fons Adriaensen wrote:

> Having been there just a few
> hours ago, to me its seems that trying to program for ALSA using
> the available (doxygen) documentation is like trying to learn a
> new natural language from a dictionary for that language only -
> without any grammar or even translations.

I have found that reverse-engineering the sources for the various tools (aplay(1) and friends) is usually the best way to figure out how to get things done, although there are sometimes desperate cases where examining the source for alsa-lib itself may be necessary. Neither fast nor fun, but it does get the job done.

Cheers!

| Frederick F. Gleason, Jr. | Chief Developer |
| | Paravel Systems |
| To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. |
| -- Thomas Edison |