Re: [LAD] So what do you think sucks about Linux audio ?

From: John Rigg <ladev3@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 09 2013 - 01:26:40 EET

On Fri, Feb 08, 2013 at 10:14:58PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Digital emulations of well-known analog equalisers have become a genre
> of their own... Usually the 'good imperfections' (noise, distortion,...)
> are emulated as well, as if the creators of those EQs actually added
> them on purpose. I can't imagine any of the designers at e.g. Neve or
> SSL ever doing that - they went for the best technical specs they could
> have.

Agreed. Some types of distortion can sound nice on the right material,
but I prefer to add that separately if I think it's required. I don't
want an EQ to make that decision for me.

> Not that all equalisers are equal, far from it. Some of those classic
> designs had some unusual features such as higher order shelf filters
> which are actually quite nice to have.
>
> I wrote an equaliser having those some years ago (not yet published,
> maybe I will some day), and it has become my 'workhorse'. You can
> see some of the frequency responses here:
> <http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/linuxaudio/shelf2filt.html>

Please do consider releasing that if you get time. I can think of several
situations where it would have been very useful to have that :-)

John