Re: [LAD] simple silence detection tool

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2013 - 14:11:32 EET

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 12:39:17PM +0100, Florian Paul Schmidt wrote:

> >I'm looking for a simple tool where I can point it at an http audio
> >stream, define a number of seconds to detect silence and exit with a
> >non-zero status if silence is detected. It seems like this should be
> >easy but I've been search high and low for such a utility and nothing
> >simple exists. Unfortunately I'm not much of a developer, but this
> >doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Maybe it's harder than
> >I think, hence no tool that I can find.

> Probably noone needed this precice functionality yet.

The radio guys have this stuff to see if their streams are still alive.

Ah, here it is:

    http://www.aelius.com/njh/silentjack/

Use any player (mplayer, cvlc, gstreamer) with jackd support to decode
your stream or use the usual anything-to-jackd magic to make your
consumer applications work with jackd.

Something like this:

   $ jackd -d dummy (won't terminate and will not output anything)

   $ gst-launch uridecodebin uri=http://some.stream/ ! \
        audioconvert ! audioresample ! jackaudiosink connect=none

   $ mplayer -ao jack,port=SilentJack http://some.stream/

> 1] A tool that can read from an http stream and write it into a pipe
> (maybe mplayer/mencoder)

mencoder is dead. mplayer, vlc, gstreamer and co are alive.

Cheers

--
mail: adi@email-addr-hidden  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver