Re: [LAD] simple silence detection tool

From: Florian Paul Schmidt <mista.tapas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2013 - 13:39:17 EET

On 02/10/2013 08:38 AM, Jeremy Hansen wrote:
> I'm looking for a simple tool where I can point it at an http audio stream, define a number of seconds to detect silence and exit with a non-zero status if silence is detected. It seems like this should be easy but I've been search high and low for such a utility and nothing simple exists. Unfortunately I'm not much of a developer, but this doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. Maybe it's harder than I think, hence no tool that I can find.

Probably noone needed this precice functionality yet. I would look for
options to assemble this from lower level components:

1] A tool that can read from an http stream and write it into a pipe
(maybe mplayer/mencoder)

2] A tool to convert the stream from the compressed format into a very
low samplerate simple to parse format that reads from that pipe and
writes to another.. (mencoder)

3] A small bash script or python or whatever floats your boat program
that takes the low samplerate, simple to parse output and detects
silences in it. If the silence is "true" silence, something as simple as
searching for a long enough string of 0-bytes is enough..

Flo

--
Florian Paul Schmidt
http://fps.io