Re: [LAD] making sense of Jack MIDI; or, is this an appropriate use for Jack?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Feb 16 2013 - 01:23:54 EET

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:41 PM, M Donalies <ingeniousnebbish@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> On Friday 15 February 2013 15:22:20 Paul Davis wrote:
> > the JACK API is fully documented. tutorials on basic use of the audio API
> > exist. the big difference here is that there are several example blobs of
> > source, ranging from the explicitly "example" clients within the JACK
> > source code package itself, to the utility clients, and onward up to full
> > scale MIDI sequencers such as ardour.
>
> I suppose I've been spoiled by the Qt documentation.

Qt was a (partially) commercial product that raised significant revenue for
Trolltech and was used by developers across a broad spectrum of the
software world.

JACK is a non-commercial product that has raised (more or less) zero
revenue for anyone involved with it, and is used by a tiny niche of
developers within the already rather small world of audio software.

its fine to compare documentation and to aspire to do better, but its also
good to be realistic.

For parsing an SMF, you mean something like code that can convert midi to
> text
> and back again?

SMF = Standard MIDI File - its a file format (standardized, and documented)