[LAD] making sense of Jack MIDI; or, is this an appropriate use for Jack?

From: M Donalies <ingeniousnebbish@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 15 2013 - 18:23:02 EET

From what I can tell, the Jack midi interface aspires to hide the underlying
Alsa api so an app developer can just use Jack midi and not have to muck with
Asla.

If this is true, then how do I use Jack in the following senerio: I'm writing
a toy gui SMF player that outputs midi events so a program like fluidsynth can
play them.

Using Alsa sequencer, I put events on a queue with a time and Alsa takes care
of the rest. If I just use the Jack midi api, how much of this process can
Jack do? I'm assuming "not much," since all the apps that I've looked at the
source of use the Alsa sequencer.

If I wanted to do the sequencing myself, what would be involved? Or am I
completely missing the point of what Jack can do?

--
7:8