[LAD] Muse - Was: OT: Bitwig beta for Linux reviewed

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Mar 09 2013 - 00:47:52 EET

On Fri, 2013-03-08 at 16:37 -0500, Tim E. Real wrote:
> On March 8, 2013 09:31:50 PM Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > IIRC Muse can mute individual clips, but Muse never was
> > able to run on my machine. I tested it for different distros, in
> > different years.
>
> Howdy, Ralf.
> Can you give us an idea of why this might be?
> Any clues at all, like choice of kernels, tweaks, RTIRQs etc.
> Can you briefly describe the hardware involved?
> I imagine you must run a pretty tight setup there.
>
> Your experience with MusE is important to us.
> We'd like to try to correct whatever the problem is, with your help.

I'm short in time this month, I can spend some time at the end of the
month and install Muse again.

The PC is an ASUS M2A-VM HDMI with an on-board ATI Radeon X 1250-based
graphics, in the past I sometimes replaced it by a PCIe NVIDIA GeForce
7200 GS.

In the past the PC first had one, later two TerraTec EWX 24/96 ICE1712
PCI cards, for more then a year I'm using it with those two cards for
MIDI and a RME HDSPe AIO for MIDI and audio.

The CPU always was and still is an AMD Athlon 64-bit dual-core BE-2350
2.1 GHz. I started with 2 GiB RAM, but early extended to 4 GiB.

FWIW the PCIe RME card not only is bad supported, on my machine I still
get xruns with very high latency, when using the RME card, but Muse
already had issues on my machine, when I used the TerraTec cards only,
that can be used without xruns at a passable latency.

I'm usually using self-build kernel-rt in the past 2.6.x and today 3.x.

Nothing does share the IRQ with a sound card.

I also tried to tune the machine by:

        ### Bluetooth
        service bluetooth stop

        ### TerraTec EWX 24/96
        modprobe -r snd_ice1712

        ### Others
        modprobe -r firewire-ohci
        modprobe -r firewire_core
        service cups stop
        modprobe -r ppdev # parallel port
        modprobe -r lp # printer

        ### Unbinding devices
        echo -n "0000:00:13.2" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/unbind
        echo -n "0000:00:13.4" > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ohci_hcd/unbind

This doesn't improve the situation. However, xruns were not the issues,
IIRC Muse usually freeze and is completely unusable here. Architecture
of the Linux usually is 64-bit, I don't know if I ever tried Muse on a
32-bit install. I'm using Jack2 only, first regarding to the alsarawmidi
switch, to get rid of MIDI hardware jitter and because Jack1 never
worked on this Computer and also not on my first PC, an ASRock K7VT2
with an 800 MHz single core, 32-bit Athlon. All versions of Jack1 I
tested, not only the version that was known to do this, disconnected
clients.

Onboard audio always is disabled, Northbridge AMD 690G, Southbridge ATI
SB600, 1 * PCI Express x16, 1 * PCI Express x1, 2 * PCI.

At the moment I'm booted to Arch Linux, the only installed audio
software at the moment are Jack2 and Simple Sysexxer and I've got no
time to test Muse right now. >= 22. March I might have some time to test
Muse. If I should forget to test Muse, at the end of this month or
during next month please ask me again.

Regards,
Ralf