Re: [LAD] Aeolus

From: Simon Jenkins <sjenkins@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 14:32:20 EEST

On 20 Sep 2013, at 11:14, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net> wrote:

> Nobody of us does know the reason for the "offence", "misunderstanding"
> or what ever it is.

Once you work out that M Gavioli is a musescore contributor (under the name "miwarre") you can read the musescore forums and see whats been going on.

It looks to me like:

1. musecore forked Aeolus to get just the bits they needed working in their system and then
2. M Gavioli is now forking the musecore fork to get something more standalone and OSC-ified.
3. There's also an organist over there who's creating some new presets or something like that.

Some things worth noting:

M Gavioli is communicative and collaborative, but he's doing that *over there* not *over here*.
They have discussed contacting Fons but apparently have not yet done so.
They are aware that Fons is (they think) hostile to a version that compiles for Windows, but believe the GPL trumps that.
For various reasons they suspect (wrongly, as we know) that upstream Aeolus is no longer under active development.

People are going to draw their own conclusions from this so I'll spare you my 2 cents (at least for now).

Cheers

Simon Jenkins
Bristol, UK