[LAD] Forking JackMix

From: Dr Nicholas J Bailey <nicholas.bailey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 14:45:45 EEST

Ha, it seems I submitted news about a fork right into a firestorm!

Well, I've done it, take it or leave it.

For the record, I did email Arnold Krille several times without getting a
reply, which is fine because there isn't a law which says he has to answer
emails from me. Also, the (C) on that software says -2007, so I went ahead.
It probably wasn't a good time in retrospect. But hey, the last digest was
full of people ranting about forks, plus my post about actually having done
one.

1. Code didn't do what I wanted.
2. Made code do what I wanted.
3. Released code

(3) is the whole point of FOSS isn't it?

I didn't intend to upset Arnold or anybody else, but the only way I'm taking
my "fork" off github is if Arnold thinks it's good enough to make it
mainstream, which would be an honour and a privilege. Also, it was more
than a week's work (mostly understanding the existing code base), which
means I reckon I deserve a place on the author list. If Fons thinks I'm a
"dog pissing on a lampost or some juvenile spraying his tags on someone
else's property", we'll have to agree to differ. I still really hope Arnold is
going to let me ask him some questions about his code!

I don't actually know anything about what caused all the fuss in the first
place, but it's a bit of a shame when people fall out. Politics... blegh!

Nick/.
Science and Music Research Group, Glasgow, Scotland.