Re: [LAD] Forking JackMix

From: Thijs van severen <thijsvanseveren@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Sep 24 2013 - 09:03:25 EEST

Behold the beauty of FOSS !
(A fine example of how it can also be done)
Op 20-sep.-2013 23:46 schreef "Arnold Krille" <arnold@email-addr-hidden> het
volgende:

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 12:45:45 +0100 Dr Nicholas J Bailey
<nicholas.bailey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Ha, it seems I submitted news about a fork right into a firestorm!
>
> Well, I've done it, take it or leave it.
>
> For the record, I did email Arnold Krille several times without
> getting a reply, which is fine because there isn't a law which says
> he has to answer emails from me.

Mostly due to the fact that I don't answer when there is no time. And
then tend to forget these mails when they drop below the fold...

> Also, the (C) on that software says
> -2007, so I went ahead. It probably wasn't a good time in retrospect.

It was at the best of times! And its not the first fork of JackMix,
but probably the first on github...

> I didn't intend to upset Arnold or anybody else, but the only way I'm
> taking my "fork" off github is if Arnold thinks it's good enough to
> make it mainstream, which would be an honour and a privilege.

The main concern for me is that (if I understand git correctly) its now
not possible for me to import my private subversion history of JackMix
into github and then officially mark yours as the fork... As my vcs was
private all the past time, thats not a big concern.
You could also have given your project a new name. Which is hard when
the good names are all taken...

But seeing as I don't really have time for audio-programming since
quite some years, please continue!

> I still really hope Arnold is going to let me ask him some
> questions about his code!

I don't know if I can answer your questions. As you rightly noticed,
its been some time since I wrote that code.
I would write it differently today (test-driven, gui in python and only
the mixing-engine in C++). I kind of started parts for a rewrite,
there's a mixing-matrix-gui in ffado-mixer thats similar and I have
some local beginnings of a crossbar-router for jack (patchage with rows
and cols instead of a free canvas) with network-transparent separation
of gui and core. But that never really hit of with me due to a lack of
time and need...

Anyway, please remind me to look at your project, create a nice page on
github for it and remind me to set a link to that page on my domain.
I hereby proclaim you the new lead for JackMix!

Have fun,

Arnold