Re: [LAD] forking (was Re: Aeolus)

From: J. Liles <malnourite@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Sep 20 2013 - 23:50:41 EEST

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 1:24 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hiddenwrote:

> 'Convenient' is the key word here. Some people only think
> of what's 'convenient' to them, everything else is too much
> for their simple minds.

Fons, you have to admit that with comments like that, you're making it
rather hard for those of us trying to be on your side in this matter. I see
absolutely no rational justification for your indignation. Help me
understand how this is an evolved, logical response, and not simply a
matter of hurt feelings? No one can be rational 100% of the time, and we
all have attachments to our works etc. But we don't often make public
statements about it. If you change the license on your code, I'll just
continue using the GPL'd versions which I have copies of. I may even create
formal forks of them. And anyone else in the land of LAD who shares my
sentiments will be unlikely to use and enjoy anything else you produce.
That, to me, seems like it should be the opposite of what you want, but
perhaps I'm mistaken. I can't speak for everyone, but I don't think anyone
doubts your DSP expertise. Whatever you want Aeolus to be is your vision.
If someone wants to take the code, modify it, and use it to crank out
inauthentic organ compositions, you have no right (or reason) to try and
stop them. Many of us believe that even trying to do so (e.g. by releasing
proprietary software) is morally wrong. Perhaps you didn't understand what
you were getting into when you released code under the GPL, but it's a lot
more than mere show-and-tell, it's an ethical philosophy.