Re: [LAD] JACK, cgroups and systemd

From: Dominique Michel <dominique.michel@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Jan 13 2014 - 17:57:48 EET

Le Sun, 12 Jan 2014 16:46:56 -1000,
Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :

> Dominique Michel wrote:
> > Recently, I experimented with Debian sid, which use systemd. Systemd
> > idea is nice, but its implementation is a catastrophe. It is more
> > than one year I am using the kernel cgroups on gentoo to get rt
> > scheduling with JACK, that without any trouble.
>
> > On Debian, this is just impossible, because whatever I try, systemd
> > insist to put what it think is good to have into the rt cgroup,
> > which soon or later result in a complete system freeze with even
> > dead magic keys. After loosing my time a few days with this, I
> > removed Debian and installed gentoo instead.
>
> I run sid, however continue to use sysvinit.

That's not the matter. When I installed it, systemd was installed, and
it doesn't work with a non automatic cgroups configuration. For what I
know, it will be the same problem with any installation using
systemd, that because the cgroup feature of systemd is designed to only
work with the automatic kernel cgroups stuff, or to reproduce it.

In the case of a rt setup as the one on the jack wiki, this just fail
because systemd is designed to pollute the only cpu group we are using,
which is a real time group, with applications that have nothing to do
in it, and this is so bad it can result into a complete system freeze.

Dominique