Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Nils Gey <ich@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 09:50:39 EET

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014 05:55:04 +0000
Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Hi there everyone, specially developers.
>
> I think we should stop assuming releasing source code is enough.
> [GNU/] Linux is getting more user friendly, and most users are not able
> to compile software,

I agree. But where, from your standpoint, is the package manager? I found one the strong points of Linux is that you have your central installation place.

What I would like to see is a change of culture, more tailored to the users who like experimenting and trying new things out:
In Windows I like that it is customary to offer all-in-one binaries, even if you only release a super-early techdemo in a forum.
For me that means: Especially for some super-early tech demos in forums. Instead of an undocumented github page where I have to read the code first to figure out the dependencies.

Bottom line:
More binaries for small and obscure software, for the time between release and adopting into package manager (even if that is years).
In the end I like my pacman and I always find it nice to see that the Arch package is there in binary form and not only an AUR script.

> I can make a developer-oriented tutorial on how to use that, so that
> developers can provide linux binaries to its users.
> Would that be something useful to Linux Audio?

Yes, please do that.

Nils