Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Clemens Koller <clemens.koller@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 13:31:37 EET

Hi, There!

When the source code is there and available (in the form of
releases and not only as a git repository) it doesn't harm
much if you release binarys optionally which might fit or
not fit some purpose.

A very important aspect should be transparency and security
for an packager of a distro. A packager also needs to make
sure that the integrity of the compiled package is given and
fits the needs of the distro.
Some users propably didn't understand what it means to
have a clean filesystem hierarchy standard.Some developers
too. That's why every once in a while a packager need to
patche to the code before it fits the distros standards.
Personally I prefer to have
a) the latest release compiled from source for work and
b) the latest git repo compiled from source to be able to give
the developer feedback about a bug and if a bug is fixed
or not in HEAD.
c) a PKGBUILD (i.e. for Arch)
d) proper documentation how to build the code, what the
default configure options are and what the dependencies are.
e) if it's not compiling, contact the developer if I really care
or dump that piece of software. There must be a better one.

I am working mostly with Arch, Crux, Debian (and Ubuntu).

Regards,

Clemens