Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: John Rigg <ladev6@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 15:11:21 EET

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 12:40:23PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 05:55:04AM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>
> > I think we should stop assuming releasing source code is enough.
>
> Enough for what ? Users who don't want to install from source
> want packages made for the package manager of their distro,
> which will take care of dependencies etc. You can't expcect a
> developer to provide such packages for each and every distro.
> I don't even provide them for the distro I use myself.

I'm inclined to agree with Fons here. There seems to be a growing culture
of expecting Windows-style hand-holding for free software. In the Windows
(and Mac) world you pay money for this. I think it's unreasonable to
expect the same level of support from unpaid developers. (If they have the
time to do it that's great, but it shouldn't be taken for granted).

John