Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 14:40:23 EET

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 05:55:04AM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> I think we should stop assuming releasing source code is enough.

Enough for what ? Users who don't want to install from source
want packages made for the package manager of their distro,
which will take care of dependencies etc. You can't expcect a
developer to provide such packages for each and every distro.
I don't even provide them for the distro I use myself.

> [GNU/] Linux is getting more user friendly,

Depends very much on what you understand by 'user friendly'.

> and most users are not able to compile software,

They can learn to do it. It's not rocket science.

> plus some distributions make it specially hard (debian, ubuntu,
> fedora, opensuse) by having the libs installed but not the headers.

They all provide 'devel' packages as well. Why they split things
up is another question, IMHO it's a silly thing to do. Usually
the space taken by the headers is small fraction of the total.

> Releasing software on windows or mac, even open-source, *always*
> comes in a binary, and most users come from there.

And why do they want to change ? To get 'free as in beer' software ?
Then they should accept that this comes at a price: a small effort
from their side.

> Now, I have a "toolchain" repository for ubuntu 10.04 with gcc4.8,
> python3+qt4 and a bunch of other useful stuff.

Unless that toolchain can magically create packages for all major
distros (and I'm pretty sure it can't do that), what's the point ?

Ciao,

--
FA