Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: John Rigg <ladev6@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 19:03:06 EET

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 03:34:05PM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
> I think it's not up to the users to understand how software
> compilation works.

That depends on the developer's intention when releasing source
code. Some very good Linux audio software was written for the
developers' own use, and the source code only released as a
favour to those who might also have a use for it. Some of the
LADSPA and LV2 plugins I use most fall into this category.

If a piece of free software isn't available as a distro package,
I think it's very much up to the user to find out how to compile
it if the developer doesn't have time to offer unpaid support.

John