Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 19:00:32 EET

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 03:34:05PM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> I seriously don't wish any new user to have to put up with this.
> It might be easy for us that are now used to this sort of things,
> but not for them.

Then they should wait until their distro or someone else provides
a package. Or pay someone to do the work for them, just as they
have to for commercial software, or for the mechanic you mention.
Or use a distro that usually provides a shorter release cycle,
e.g. Arch (which is not for noobs).

> >Unless that toolchain can magically create packages for all major
> >distros (and I'm pretty sure it can't do that), what's the point ?
>
> It won't create packages, it will create binaries - which is what
> users are looking for.

And how are these installed ? Bypassing the distro package management
is a sure recipe for misery. Maybe not immediately, with a bit of
luck the binary you just copied to /usr/bin may work. But sooner or
later your users will get some serious trouble, because you're messing
up their systems. If that's what you want, go on...

Ciao,

--
FA