Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 19:26:07 EET

On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 05:11:10PM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:

> >And how are these installed ? Bypassing the distro package management
> >is a sure recipe for misery. Maybe not immediately, with a bit of
> >luck the binary you just copied to /usr/bin may work. But sooner or
> >later your users will get some serious trouble, because you're messing
> >up their systems. If that's what you want, go on...
>
> I don't see how this is worse than having the users installing files
> to /usr/local.

Really ? Package managers don't care about /usr/local and will never
touch it. It's a completely separate world. It exists just for that
reason.

They *do* care about /usr/bin and /usr/lib. Managing those dirs (and
some others) is why package managers exist in the first place. Because
in all except the most trivial cases, installing an app and making sure
it works will involve a bit more than putting a binary in /usr/bin.

> I actually think it's much better, since it won't require root to
> install. Just run the binary.

Oh dear. Such naivity is really touching...

Ciao,

--
FA