Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 19:31:03 EET

On 01/21/2014 05:26 PM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 21, 2014 at 05:11:10PM +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>
>>> And how are these installed ? Bypassing the distro package management
>>> is a sure recipe for misery. Maybe not immediately, with a bit of
>>> luck the binary you just copied to /usr/bin may work. But sooner or
>>> later your users will get some serious trouble, because you're messing
>>> up their systems. If that's what you want, go on...
>> I don't see how this is worse than having the users installing files
>> to /usr/local.
> Really ? Package managers don't care about /usr/local and will never
> touch it. It's a completely separate world. It exists just for that
> reason.

I was referring to user-installed compiled software. Most of them goes
into /usr/local/.

Re: I think having a bunch of files in /usr/local/ is much worse than a
single binary.

>> I actually think it's much better, since it won't require root to
>> install. Just run the binary.
> Oh dear. Such naivity is really touching...

Thanks :) /s

Anyway, if a software requires stuff installed system-wide *and* it
can't work in a local dir, then I think distributing binaries is useless
for it.
For those, yes, a package manager is not only better but I believe required.