Re: [LAD] Releasing source code is not enough, I think...

From: Filipe Coelho <falktx@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 21 2014 - 20:10:30 EET

On 01/21/2014 05:57 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-01-21 at 17:11 +0000, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>> What about all the freeware software I see in Windows/OSX?
> Those will only run on special versions. They provide binaries for e.g.
> 98se/XP or Vista etc.. There are no different startup processes, no
> different desktop environments, etc. pp..

That's why I'm planning to do a small, *developer*-oriented tutorial on
how to get the most "generic" binaries possible.
Something that can work as widely as possible.

Have you not ready my first post at all?

> My iPad 2 more often crashes, then it's working and there's no official
> way to downgrade to a working state, resp. to restore from a backup,
> Linux does provide ways to downgrade and to restore from backups.

tablets are a different ecosystem, we should ignore it here.

The desktops systems usually have a way to downgrade - just uninstall
your current version and install the previous one.
A good example of this is uTorrent. Users are not happy with the last
releases (includes ads and bloated features), so they download and
install an older version.
Having different versions of an app it's not unique to Linux.

PS: I'm ignoring the rest of your post, it doesn't seem to me to have
anything to do with the matter at hand.