[LAD] opencl benchmark results

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 21 2014 - 11:44:27 EET

Hi,

For those of you who are interested real world results for ffmpeg with
opencl we have run some benchmarking tests across our cluster. At the end
of last year there was a flurry of activity integrating opencl with
ffmpeg. The work was undertaken by multicorewareinc who is also the
official keeper of the code for AMD's proprietary version of ffmpeg.

We have found that leveraging opencl with the latest development version
of ffmpeg gives us upto 4566 DP-MFLOP on a single machine.

Adding in the OpenCL component (GPUs) gives us around a 64% speed boost on
AMD A4's. We got upto 400% increase on our intel machines (with alot of
NVidia CUDA cores).

We also noticed that essentially the same AMD/ATI card on a different bus
(AGP-8 versus PCI-E) only picked up an extra 6% in speed.

So clearly the recent work on the opencl integration with ffmpeg has
provided some real world dividends.

Just for the record our local cluster is clocking in around 20GFlops with
the opencl code in the mix. We haven't added in the cloud servers though
so that number is low.

While we are not a not a threat to the big players, combining resources
within the wider open source community creates a very serious competitor
that shouldn't be ignored.

Cheers

--
Patrick Shirkey