[LAD] New kid on the block

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 02 2014 - 22:47:12 EEST

I've started making tentative steps towards improving yoshimi - in particular
with respect to isolating MIDI, GUI and DSP.

The jack ring buffer is already used for data transfers from jack midi to the
dsp code, but I want to a) set up another buffer between jack midi and gui, and
b) if possible, try to do the same for alsa midi.

From what I've read, the jack ring buffer will happily work between any two
threads on a garbage-in-garbage-out basis.

However, around 2008 there was a lot of discussion about thread safety/memory
barriers etc. Was this ever resolved?

Also - and I don't know if this is actually a realistic situation - how would I
handle an all alsa setup? Would there be anything preventing me just linking to
the ring buffer itself?

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk