Re: [LAD] ALSA frustration

From: Clemens Ladisch <clemens@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2014 - 10:57:20 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> In this case my very humble endeavour was just
> to find out if or not it would be possible to
> create something similar to the alsa_jack plugin
> that would actually present itself as a sound
> card, so that (badly written) apps would be
> prepared to use it.

In theory, plugins like alsa_jack already _are_
presented as a sound card. (From alsa-lib's point
of view, there is not difference between the hw and
the alsa_jack plugins.)

If your badly written apps insist on using a hardware
card (i.e., on the hw plugin), then you need to have
an actual kernel driver for that card. There is the
loopback driver, snd-aloop, but you'd need to write
a tool that bridges that to Jack.

Regards,
Clemens