[LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Wed Jun 25 2014 - 21:02:00 EEST

Am 25.06.2014 17:18, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> I have. I don't like at all how it looks: lots of silly eye-candy
> at the expense of usability. Take the way you have repackaged
> zita-rev1. It's a perfect example of what I don't want it to be,
> and why I'm moving away from GPL licencing. Sorry, but I prefer
> to be frank about this.
>
> Ciao,
Fons, you have stated this ("why I move away from GPL") a way to often
the last time here on the list, and I must say, it hurts me.
Truly, you have made a great contribution to the Open Source World with
your (excellent) work, but, your habit to restrict the use of your
source isn't nice anymore. We use here, in this special case, exactly
the faust source, which you have work out together with Julius Smith,
and which is distributed under the GPL within the faust distribution.
Even, the interface is (okay, more or less, some very, very, small
changes we've made, just to the interface, no repack, as stated by you)
what the faust distribution provide.
Now, you stated, this is a "perfect example" why you wone move away from
the GPL.
To bad.
A couple of people have made contributions to faust, even we, from the
guitarix project have contributed our tube emulation to faust, as well
out tone-stack emulations which based on the work of David Yeh and take
the work of Tim Goetze into account, and some GUI elements. And, we are
happy to see users or developers use it for there needs, even in any
modification.

Isn't that what Open Source is about? I've learned a lot by
reading/study open source code, and I try to give all the credits to
those who contribute the source I lately use. I'm pretty sure, that you,
as well, was once in this stadium of knowledge.
Discourage people to use/read your source, is a bad habit at all, and
indeed, it hurts me, it really hurts me.

by
hermann