Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Sun Jun 29 2014 - 20:01:03 EEST

Am 29.06.2014 17:35, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 01:50:08PM +0200, hermann meyer wrote:
>
>> As well you seems to be pleased with the faust zita-rev1
>> implementation at this time and helped Julius with some hints.
> Because Julius is a person I respect, and he tried to get
> his version as close as possible to the original.
And that is why we use this exact version.

>>> Indeed. So you are entitled to use it - no problem with that.
>> Al the discussion here imply exactly the opposite, . .
>
> No. I just said I didn't like what you made of zita-rev1.
> And then only after you asked for my opinion on guitarix.
>
>> But, the "and make it look like a 1950s piece of vintage
>> gear", I take as a compliment, because that is indeed what we will
>> reach. :-)
>> I understand, you didn't like it, but, that is a matter of taste.
> No. As already explained, the design of zita-rev1 includes not only
> the DSP code but also the way it is presented, and that is definitely
> *not* as a low quality 1950s spring reverb for guitarists. That is
> not 'a matter of taste'. You turned it into something which it isn't,
> at the same time removing one its qualities: the calibrated controls
> which enable the user to set a preset 'from his/her head' which is
> something experienced audio engineers do all the time.

Mind the little "p" button on the right side, therewith you can save and
load single effect presets. That is the way we do it in guitarix.

Mind the menu "Options" -> "show value" to present the values under the
knobs. Mind that you could insert the value direct in the value field
(left or right click) or in the knob (right click). So a experienced
audio engineer could set what he/she wont easy as well without using the
preset options. This will reduce the pressure for calibrated controls in
my opinion.
Beside that, and beside the "overall design" of the background and the
knobs itself, the ordering of the groups controls is similar to the one
in your original version.
However, I will add a tooltip text which explain to the user that this
isn't the original version by you, but the faust implementation of it.
This tooltip will appear as soon a user move the mouse over it.

by
hermann