Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 14:03:36 EEST

On Tue, Jul 01, 2014 at 07:09:33AM +0200, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Or just drop the "code" link that is available in the upper
> part of he HTML page in the export tool of FaustLive. In a
> matter of minutes you can generate the *native* optimized
> tool you may want as a plug-in or standalone application.

I'm getting more and more annoyed by the repeated implicit or
explicit suggestions that this ability to 'generate whatever
format you like' and do it in a web browser is a property or,
($GOD help us) a quality of Faust.

It simply isn't.

The faust compiler will generate C code in a format that is
essentially an implicit and rather primitive plugin standard.
Then there are a number of wrappers that will turn this into
an LV2, a VST or whatever you want.

There's no Faust involved in that step. You can use the same
wrappers with any DSP code that provides the expected interface,
and that's easy enough to arrange.

Ciao,

--
FA