Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 14:13:06 EEST

On Tue, July 1, 2014 8:52 pm, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> Le 1 juil. 2014 à 12:37, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> a écrit :
>
>> On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 06:27:05PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:
>>
>>> Native code aversion is a serious problem in the entire computing
>>> world,
>>> which continues to snowball because all the language/etc innovation
>>> gets
>>> directed at VMs for no particularly good reason (and/or you get
>>> half-baked amateurish garbage like Javascript/PHP from people who have
>>> no business inventing programming languages in the first place). I
>>> don't need a bloody virtual machine, I've got a real one, thanks.
>>
>> Couldnt agree more. It's all just creating extra layers on the onion,
>> in the illusory expectation that those will be more 'standard' than
>> the ones below. Commercial forces will make sure that such interfaces
>> will diverge anyway. And more often than not they just exist to ensure
>> some intermediate parasites can profit from them.
>>
>> It sometimes makes me think of they way tomatos are being distributed
>> and sold here in Italy. They will travel up and down the entire country
>> (either physically or just virtually) a number of times before ending
>> up in the shops. Both the producers and the consumers are ripped off
>> by middlemen taking their profit on redundant steps.
>>
>> Ciao,
>>
>> --
>> FA
>
> This is exactly one aspect Faust is trying to address from day one… :
> having one high level DSP specification that the compiler can easily
> deploy on a wide variety of platforms: from OWL pedal,
> (http://hoxtonowl.com/2014/04/owl-and-faust/), regular OS, up to easily
> deployable Web versions, that can possibly directly be used, or a least
> give access to the original code for easy re-deployement. Why refuse that?

Apparently Fons believes that everything he does is sPeSHaL and should be
exempt from the encroachment of market forces. Apparently everyone else
who uses open source code for non altruistic purposes is also a parasite.
Apparently if you have a nice cushy job working for a government funded
non profit organisation you are a higher being and not subject to the
general forces that the rest of the world has to contend with.

I believe this is called entitlement.

Apparently Fons also exists off air and delicately collected rock filtered
natural spring rain water and has no need for the other trappings of
modern life that general market forces provide.

Fons is truly a saintly enigma destined for greater things that are not of
this mortal coil.

Oh, Hail to the Fons!

--
Patrick Shirkey