Re: [LAD] Open Source to be or not to be?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 01 2014 - 15:37:09 EEST

On Tue, July 1, 2014 10:06 pm, Etienne Rouge wrote:
> This topic's just gone full chaos quite a while ago.
>

> I'd love to read things without seeing people namely attacked or things
> completly off topic.
>
> Open source is a great ideal. But *today* it's a thankless ideal.
>
> What about tomorrow ?
>
> Either we quit this ideal and just go back 20years in the past (and if
> we have to chose a closed proprietary market, I'd rather have those good
> ol' big boxes full of stuffs rather than DRMs - which are both based on
> the same economical model) or we find a way to get open source
> developers rewarded. Rewarded socially, personally, and financially.
>
> Solving that is the only way to stop escalating to the emotional level
> at light speed.
>
> And that'd be great.

Your opening rant was pretty emotional and potentially insulting to the
guitarix team and the above is not much less.

Welcome to Linux Audio. A bunch of emotional artistes/developers ranting
about the state of things with occasional forays into useful information
and community cohesiveness. The latter often being considered dirty words
uttered by uninitiated well meaning idiots.

Parasites and pedants, godly beings with entitlement syndrome and the
barely literate wholly unwashed. It's a rare brew.

These ideals that you speak of don't mean much without the support of a
wider community but not everyone can justify contributing their
time/energy with zero financial reward. So while some people consider it
to be theft if other people find a way to profit from open source other
people consider it to be a useful and worthwhile outcome that in the long
run benefits the wider community.

Fons wouldn't have to work for the man if he was able to generate a decent
income from his open source ouvre. Yet he has routinely been one of the
most vocal in his abhorrence of anyone profiting directly from his code.
Even more so if someone else has figured out a way to do it that he
personally doesn't have the motivation or interest to do on his own.

Herman doesn't deserve to be painted as the bad guy, neither Stephane.
They are both active and genuinely contributive LAD'ers who are making
worthwhile progress and providing useful results.

> Thanks.
>
> T.
>

> On 01/07/2014 13:47, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> Ad hominem remarks are usually a clear sign of not having
>>> anything better to say.
>>>
>>> FYI, Fons will very probably move to Germany in a few weeks,
>>> to be employed as Senior Researcher by a *very* big, not
>>> government funded and profit making corporation. How this
>>> will affect my ability to stay active in open source audio
>>> is still a matter to be discussed. But it's very well possible
>>> that you will get rid of me, so start preparing the feast.
>>>
>> I'll eat my hat if Fons gives up open source development because he has
>> commit all his personal resources to the Man.
>>

>> --
>> Patrick Shirkey
>> Boost Hardware Ltd

Patrick Shirkey